2012 NCS Divisional Awards Call for Entries
January 3, 2013
The National Cartoonists Society is starting it’s annual call for entries for consideration for their NCS Divisional Awards recognizing excellence in professional cartooning. As always, you DO NOT have to be a member of the NCS to have your work considered for a divisional award… all that is required is that the work be eligible as detailed below.
NEW THIS YEAR:
– There are now two divisions for Online Comics, Short Form and Long Form. See below for details.
– The Advertising Illustration division has been expanded to Advertising and Product Illustration, which will include not only cartooning for advertising but also for retail products like posters, toy/product packaging, etc.
Below you will find a list of the juries which will judge the categories, the jury chair and the address to which you will send your entry. As always, NO EMAIL SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED, with the exception of the Online Comics divisions, which allows emailed PDF submissions. Below is a short recap of several rules and guidelines, which govern the awards:
Please remember only recent work can be considered. This means work published between the dates of December 1, 2011 and December 31, 2012.
Please submit published tear sheets when possible and document when and where the work was published. Online Comics should provide links for verification of first publication date.
If your syndicated cartoon runs in both strip and panel format you can submit to one of those divisions, not both (your choice).
Your submissions must be submitted to their respective locations by February 6, 2013.
List of Juries and Submission Addresses:
Cartoonists are invited to submit their work (or the work of another professional) no later than February 6, 2013, for consideration for one or more of the following Division Awards:
- NEWSPAPER ILLUSTRATION– Submit up to 6 samples of 2012 published work to: Todd Clark, NCS Great Northwest Chapter, P.O. Box 8264-2264, Boise, ID 83707-2264 (TCtoonz@yahoo.com)
- GAG CARTOONS– Submit up to 12 samples of 2012 published work to: Brian Walker, NCS Connecticut Chapter, 34 Old Forge Rd, Wilton, CT 06897 (email@example.com)
- GREETING CARDS– Submit up to 6 samples of 2012 published work to: Tom Stemmle, NCS New Jersey Chapter, 184 Richards Avenue, Piscataway, NJ 08854 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- NEWSPAPER COMIC STRIPS– Submit up to 12 samples of 2012 published work to: Polly Keener, NCS Great Lakes Chapter, 400 W. Fairlawn Blvd., Akron, OH 44313-4510 (email@example.com)
- NEWSPAPER PANEL CARTOONS– Submit up to 12 samples of 2012 published work to: Andrew Farago, NCS Northern California Chapter, 2923 King Street, Berkeley, CA, 94703 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- MAGAZINE FEATURE/MAGAZINE ILLUSTRATION– Submit up to 6 samples of 2012 published work to: Mark Parisi, NCS New England Chapter, 16 Slayton Rd., Melrose, MA 02176 (email@example.com)
- BOOK ILLUSTRATION– Send up to 6 samples of 2012 published work to: Graham Nolan, NCS Upstate New York Chapter, 162 Godfrey Ter, East Aurora, NY, 14052 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- EDITORIAL CARTOONS– Submit up to 20 samples of 2012 published work to: Mike Cope, NCS Canadian Chapter, 46 Church Street, Stoney Creek, ON, L8E 2X8, CANADA (email@example.com) NOTE: Allow for extra delivery time to this jury from the U.S.
- ADVERTISING and PRODUCT ILLUSTRATION– Submit up to 6 samples of 2012 published and marketed work to: Doug Bratton, 17 Crestmont Drive, Dover, NJ, 07801 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- COMIC BOOKS– Submit up to 3 samples of 2012 published work to: Bill Morrison, 786 Twillin Ct., Simi Valley, CA 93065 (email@example.com)
- GRAPHIC NOVELS– Submit graphic novel published in 2012 to: James Strum, P.O. Box 125, White River Jct., VT, 05001 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- ANIMATION DIVISIONS
- Both animation categories are accepting submissions of individual artists’ work for consideration. Submissions maybe submitted by the artists themselves, or by the studios or other colleagues on the artists’ behalf. As will all divisions there is no charge for awards submissions.
- Production designers, art directors, character designers, layout artists, background painters, character painters, and all other still art creators must submit five to ten samples of their work from a single production for each application.
- Samples may be physical prints or as JPEG files on a CD-R. If the samples contain work by anyone else, please include a detailed written breakdown of which art is attributed to the applicant.
- Animators, storyboard artists, visual effects artists, and anyone else involved in creating moving or continuity art, please submit a reel of your work on a DVD or CD-R. (Storyboards will only be considered in animatic form.) If the samples contain work by anyone else, please include a detailed written breakdown of which art is attributed to the applicant.
- TELEVISION ANIMATION– All entries must be work created for episodes of a television series that aired for the first time during the 2012 calendar year. Submit one or more samples as explained above to: Chad Frye, 518 E. Cypress Ave. #C, Burbank, CA 91501 (email@example.com)
- FEATURE ANIMATION– All entries must be work created for a fully animated feature length movie released theatrically in the 2012 calendar year. Submit one or more samples as explained above to: David Folkman, NCS Los Angeles Chapter, 3625 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd. Suite 287, Westlake Village CA 91362 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- ON-LINE COMICS DIVISIONS– All Online Comics submissions must adhere to the following:
- Must be web only publication (any syndication/third party publication in print should submit to proper print division above)
- Must have shown consistent timely publication over the course of the 2012 calendar year (weekly, bi-weekly, multiple times a week, daily, etc.
- Creator must earn the greater part of their living directly from cartooning/comic art in order to meet the requirement that they be eligible for professional NCS membership
- ON-LINE COMICS:- SHORT FORM– Additional specific requirements:
- Can be strip, single panel, single or partial page format
- Must be mainly self-contained gag, story, or narrative in each short comic, even if also part of ongoing narrative
- Must document date of first posting/release of each submitted comic
- Submit 12 samples, submitted via mail or as PDF with bio/entry form to: Ed Steckley, NCS National Representative, 43-07 39th Place, Apt. 3-F Sunnyside, NY 11104 (email@example.com)
- ON-LINE COMICS- LONG FORM– Additional specific requirements:
- Can be posted in single or multiple page format
- Must be ongoing narrative in serial form i.e. continuing comic book/graphic novel storyline
- Must document date of first posting/release of each episode/page/segment
- Minimum monthly release schedule
- Submit 12 samples, submitted via mail or as PDF with bio/entry form to: Tom Richmond, NCS President, 3421 East Burnsville Pkwy, Burnsville, MN 55337 (firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions should include an entry form and bio sheet.
All winners will be announced at the 67th Annual Reuben Awards Dinner in Pittsburgh, PA, on May 25th, 2013.